Tunnel Escape OFLAG VB Biberach 1941 - 75 years later

Monday 18 December 2017

The Event in September 2016

When James Baxter, son of Ronald Baxter (one of the 26 escapees), informed me about his celebration plans at home in England, of 75 years of The Great Escape of Biberach,  we also organised a party with friends and supporters, close to the original exit of September 1941. This was a very emotional event, especially for me. It took 4 years of research work and in the end a bit of luck to find another section of the tunnel following the 1981 section. And again, we found some evidence of what the diggers left behind.
Both items among lots of other items I collected over the years, will go on display in 2018 in the Biberach Museum. other items will be pics of the escaped officers and copies of their diaries, kindly provided to me by their families - unfortunately all escapees passed away before I started my research in 2011.
There are also a number of books the officers wrote after 1945 and their safe return home. e. Michael Duncan in 1954   Underground from Posen as well as Terence Prittie MBE. and Earle Edwards MBE. TD. in 1946 Escape to Freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment